13 February 2010

Old friends

I drew this while waiting for the bus. We were about 10 people and at a certain point I realized I was was the only one under 70.

Old friends, winter companions, the old men

Lost in their overcoats, waiting for the sun

The sounds of the city sifting through trees

Settles like dust on the shoulders of the old friends.



Can you imagine us years from today,

Sharing a parkbench quietly

How terribly strange to be seventy


Old friends, memory brushes the same years,

Silently sharing the same fears


Mr. Paul Simon (that Paul Simon) is surely unaware of the help he gave me on making this post. Apart from the words he once wrote and I just typed today, I actually had this song in mind while drawing this sketches.



Urban Sketchers network En español en urban sketchers spain

3 comments:

  1. This is a lovely post, i like the drawings and the soft colors and of course, the lyrics. It's funny, i was in the bus around mid morning a few days ago and things were similar- silent senior citizens "lost in their overcoats"... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miguel,
    It IS strange to be 70. I'm there but I don't think or act my age, or look it, I hope. Last January I was in hospital being prepped for surgery and I looked down at my hospital ID wrist band and read "Jo Reimer 70 year old female". Whoa. Is this some mistake? Some days it feels very strange to see all the young people riding the train. The really bad part is that now when we travel in Europe we aren't allowed to rent automobiles which is a strange thing when you consider I have 57 years of driving experience with no traffic accidents on my record.
    I love your drawings, especially the one of the old man who seems to be asleep. You inspire me to draw more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Dodo.
    And thank you so much Jo. I love seeing people older than me that don't mind their age. They make me feel so humble and stupid for the times I fall in worry about my -not yet- 50.

    ReplyDelete